Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Here's a red-letter day in the history of science, December 29, 2009

For the last 3 years, Karen has worked for Houston Independent School District. Working for HISD afforded her a luxury. Two weeks of paid time off every December. I saved my vacation so we could be off together this week. It was not to be because we got great news in November. Karen got a new job! She started working for Chevron Philips Chemical. It's a great oppurtunity, but does not come with a Christmas vacation! So here I am, sitting on the couch with my sleeping dog, watching Dexter on the DVR and starting my blog.

For my first blog ever, I wanted something epic. Other than the random, obscure movie quotes and references I will use in nearly every post (including the title of my blog... $.25 prize for the first person to recognize what movie that is from!), I'm sure this blog will fall short of epic, but since 2010 will prove to be the most important year of my life, 2010 will be epic. My goal here is to document the next year, and the following years as to never forget what these milestones feel like to mark and to share them with our friends and family. In June 2010, Karen and I will mark our 10th year of marriage. In the same month, our first child will be born. My life will forever be changed... and I can't wait. Stay tuned, this should be fun.

On Sunday, we got home from the last 9+ hour drive we plan on having for at least 2 years. In November, we made our annual trip to Alabama for Thanksgiving. It was great seeing everyone, especially our two nephews, Blake and Avery. Last week we made a trip to Mulvane, KS to see my mom, my sister Erin and her husband Josh. It was a good trip, we had snow (for the second Kansas Christmas trip in a row), and we had fun taking the dogs out in it. So we drove 0ver 2800 miles in two road trips in one month. The best part, I have to say, was coming home. I can't remember when I last felt a true sense of home, and it feels nice. I don't have a childhood home to go home to for the holidays, no house I grew up in, no childhood bedroom to sleep in, or a two-parent household anymore for that matter, so the holidays only seem to remind me of that fact. I hope to make that for my children, here. That is why I am excited at the prospect of starting our own traditions for the holidays starting in 2010. Thanksgiving is at my house next year. The plan (as of today) is for the Boston clan to head west in November for baby's first Thanksgiving. As for Christmas, I don't know if we will have company or not, but I do know that Christmas morning we will wake up in our own bed and open presents together with the baby and Charley in our own house. That sounds perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've started a blog! They're quite addictive...unless you only have time to write them at work and they're cracking down on your internet usage. Then you have to ween yourself a little. As much as we miss you guys here in Alabama I'm so glad you've made such a nice home in Texas for your growing family. Hopefully we'll be out there to see you later this year! I look forward to keeping up with your blog;)

    ReplyDelete